Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Restaurant review: The Westerly

The Westerly (413 Roncesvalles Ave.)




In search of a new West End brunch locale, we actually stumbled accidentally across this month-old addition to what is quickly becoming one of my favourite neighbourhoods for both restaurants and shopping. And the discovery was serendipitous indeed. Little did I know, the restaurant that  has been getting rave reviews for its dinner offerings, had just opened for brunch a week before! Inventive food, stimulating atmosphere and friendly service, The Westerly has it all.


After quickly glancing at the standardly-priced brunch menu posted on the door, we stepped into a sleek yet welcoming environment, and a woman who was apparently the co-owner even took our jackets to hang them on hooks for us. Unlike other well-established brunch places, there was no line and we were seated with in minutes. The space is balanced between warmth and airiness with an exposed brick wall behind the bar, and clean, white subway tiles in the back, it's adorned by many neat antique pieces that I imagine were found in nearby shops.

The menu isn't too extensive, but it has favourites from blueberry pancakes to eggs Benedict, as well as some original offerings like the duck hash ($14) my friend chose. Still watching cals, I skipped the sweet  and heavy creme brulee French toast ($11) and wrestled myself away from the eggs Benedict ($13) made special with fresh baked cheddar biscuits and lemony Hollandaise (which wasn't too lemony at all). The cheddar biscuit was also a little lost in the one bite I managed to wrangle and they tasted pretty regular overall -- good, but regular. The home fries and greens that accompany the meals aren't all that original either.





Debating between the frittata ($12) with spinach, roasted red peppers and goat cheese and something I don't usually go for --- the Monte Cristo ($12) --- I somehow justified they were the same amount of calories (both have egg, cheese and potatoes), but looking back, I think it was the cheese addict in me making that justification. No matter, the grated Gruyère, though not fully melted, complimented with thinly sliced pieces of ham hit the spot. However, I think I would have enjoyed the decision even more if the delicate ham and Gruyère (sandwiched between two slices of egg dipped bread) wasn't overpowered by Dijon, which wasn't even mentioned in the description. But isn't that presentation alone enough to make you drool?




Now, I just can't wait to return for their dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment